Friday, July 21, 2023

I'm Only a Phone Call Away

I frequently see this statement, or some that are similar, "When I die don't get on Facebook talking about you wish Heaven had a phone. I have two lines now and you don't call" and I agree with it. 

I know that I have searched every old phone, video and other source that I can get my hands on to capture the sound of my dear Susan's voice. Just to hear it brings joy to my heart. I'd rather her be here with me so I didn't have to rely on recordings. I'm sure my children have plenty of messages that start out, "It's just me call me when you get time." Sadly, time eventually runs out. 

For those of us who grew up in the 1950's and came of age in the 1960's this circumstance is particularly painful. We grew up in an era when the telephone was still a relatively new experience. People would talk on the phone for hours at a time even though they may have just spent half the day visiting in person.  Many of us who grew up with phones thought we'd experience pretty much the same in our old age. But alas it is not to be.

Truth is, for most older folks their phones would hardly ever ring if it weren’t for Robo-calls, Car Warranty companies, Medicare Plans, or collection companies looking for someone who shares your name. None of these are welcome.

While discussing this in a small group after church on Sunday a younger person in our group suggested that perhaps we should take the initiative and initiate the call. I thought about that for a minute and then remember how many times I heard my late wife’s voice in response to my asking, “Have you heard from the kids?” say, “I just tried calling _______ but they said they’d have to call me back.” You run into that often enough and soon you just face the fact that the people you most want to hear their voices are too busy. 

Now don’t misunderstand me. They really are busy. They, for the most part still have jobs, still have children living a home, still have circles of friends that do not include us older folks and should not. Unfortunately, we recognize that while they are legitimately busy, we are living on the short end of a life lived. We also walk in the knowledge that while we might live many more year, we might live those years without our memory and the recognition of family or friends. Hence while for them time pass slowly for us there is an urgency. 

On a related matter cards and letters are still important. I have a dresser, not dresser drawer but a dresser
that is filled with cards and notes that we received over the years and Susan kept. I’d catch her from time to time sitting on the edge of the bed looking at a handful of those cards and letters just remembering the people who sent them. There was a time when she used them as a part of her prayer list. Cards and letters matter. Cards with a short not are easy. Letters are a little more problematic because they require time, thought and some measure of penmanship. Yep, more demanding but moe powerful. Let me suggest whether you use snail mail (best) or e-mail (ok) write complete sentences and spell out the words and try to communicate feeling not just thoughts and events. Now back to the subject at hand . . . .

The other thing that is often suggested is that we find some kind of “old people” group to join and participate with regularly. I hate to say it but most of those groups are training and/or conditioning classes for nursing home residency. However, the big problem is, they are not the people with whom you wish to be or from whom you wish to hear. We feel like the ancient Hebrew in captivity who said, “By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion. We hanged our harps upon the willows in the midst thereof.” In short we were alive but we were no longer living. 

I don’t believe for a minute that we don’t get those calls and visits from friends because people don’t care. I have learned over the past three or so years that people really do care. God’s people and real friends do care. When my wife Susan left for her heavenly home the people who stayed with me the longest and some to this day going on three years down the road are friends from my growing up years. However, since many of them are women and married much telephone and certainly in person visits can be awkward. I have come to love a group of people (a bunch of individuals both men and women) that in my “growing up” years I barely knew anything about them besides their names. 

I also do not for a minute believe that kinfolk (children, grandchildren etc.) don’t make those calls and visits because they do not care. There is no question in my mind that for most of us our families do care. They fail to call or visit because they are wrapped up in the business of their own lives and families. And the truth is they are not wrong in that. After all, Scripture does say that when they marry there are to “leave their father and their mother.” 


In their minds they know they are young and there is time enough for calling. Sadly, there is not that same amount of time for answering that call. It is that dichotomy that I believe lay behind the quote with which I started this little bit of dribble . . . . "When I die don't get on Facebook talking about you wish Heaven had a phone. I have two lines now and you don't call." 

Truth is we really do want to hear from you. We want to know what’s going on in your lives; we want to know about our grandchildren and great grandchildren. But what we really want is to hear your voice. We know from he sound of your voice how things are really going regardless of te words that are spoken. We want to hear your voices for ourselves. Again, at the risk of being to personal, I recall many occasions after Susan spoke with someone saying. “They said they are fine but something in their voice tells me something isn’t quite right somehow.”

I’m not a Stevie Wonder fan but I like what he said when he sang, “I just called to say I love you, I just called to say how much I care, I just called to say I love you. And I mean it from the bottom of my heart.”  If you are my age, you mom and dad probably are no longer with you and so we might legitimately say, "When I die don't get on Facebook talking about you wish Heaven had a phone. I have two lines now and you don't call." 

If they are living, I suggest you set you priorities as: God first, followed by your immediate family (spouse and children), then extended family followed by friends. I might add that from time to time include them in some family activity besides holidays. I remember one of te most rewarding days of my life with my mother was the day I took her to Galveston’s West Beach and pushed her in her wheelchair over the sand burn to the empty beach and saw her face as she breathed in the ocean air. I have carried that day with me for some 30 years now. 

This is for all the lonely people thinking that life has passed them by don't give up until you drink from the silver cup and ride that highway in the sky.

This is for all the single people thinking that love has left them dry don't give up until you drink from the silver cup you never know until you try.

Well, I'm on my way yes, I'm back to stay well, I'm on my way back home.

This is for all the lonely people thinking that life has passed them by don't give up until you drink from the silver cup, she'll never take you down or never give you up you'll never know until you try.

Feel free to share your thoughts and/or experiences in the comments section below. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree that adult children do not mean to be neglectful or that they do not care. Quite the reverse. I do think that while intellectually they know their parents will die, emotionally they believe somehow, no matter how old their parents are, that day is far off in the future. "I am so busy right now but I will have time tomorrow.............. mom/dad understand"

    ReplyDelete