Friday, January 22, 2021

Her Journey With Jesus Has Led To His Thrown

 

Over the last year three of my friends from my earliest years have said farewell to their wives of many years. This week I learned a fourth friend, Bill Murphy, has said farewell to the wife of his youth after 50 years. This is poignant to me because my wife of 54 years is presently battling pancreatic cancer.

Susan and I knew Vicky had been sick but it didn’t seem to be anything serious. However, as time went by she became more and more ill. So in to the hospital she went so they could find out what was wrong and get her back up and running. We never knew she would walk in but be carried out. What I am saying is, we are shocked at the turn of events that led to her passing. I can honestly say, “Vicky’s passing was the farthest thing from my mind . . . to the point it was not even on my radar screen.

I remember the very day I met Vicky Murphy. We had a revival scheduled at Woodland Baptist Church and the singer we had scheduled canceled at the last minute. I couldn’t think of anyone we could get on such short notice. So, I asked our Minister of Music and Youth at the time, John Plumlee, if he knew of anyone. It wasn't long and he came back and said he knew of a guy named Bill Murphy who was a music evangelist. I told John to call him and make the arrangements to get him here.

On the day the revival was to begin at about 4:00 P.M. what shows up outside my office but this small over-used camper. It had hardly stopped when out jumped this tiny lady who ran up to me gave me a big hug and proclaimed, “We’re the Murphy’s and were here to do your music.” That was my introduction to Vicky Murphy.

What a journey that began. It was the beginning of a journey that would take us around the world preaching, teaching and singing the gospel. It was David & Susan and Bill & Vicky invading Australia a half dozen times or more. For a short time Bill was on our staff as our “Staff Evangelist.” From that he became pastor of the Gordon Street Baptist Church in Alvin (Just a short trip from our church) where he built a substantial work for the Lord. 

You say, "I hear, you, but what has that to do with Vicky?”  My answer is, “everything!” You see you need to understand that long before we met Bill and Vicky had made a commitment that theirs was a shared ministry just as Susan and I had done as we left for Seminary in 1969. That commitment to shared ministry and to their marriage relationship resulted in them becoming a living breathing example of the Biblical concept of  “Two becoming one” and she was a helpmate in the truest sense of the Hebrew meaning of “making up what is lacking.” 

They were wrapped up and tied up together and with Jesus in such a way as it is impossible for me to see one without seeing the other. Her story is fascinating and in some way spell binding. She was one of he least likely people to become who she became and accomplish what she accomplished that I have ever known. 

Her start was inauspicious . . . you’d never have picked her to amount to anything. Vicky had a bull dog tenacity about her that said, “Yes I can.” She created Bible Art and took it worldwide, she taught herself to play the piano, she taught herself sign language, she learned to sing harmony with Bill and eventually to step out on her own. I think in some way she actually dragged Bill along with her.

Vicky’s life became a message in and of itself. Truth is we are all messengers in how we confront life to those around us. She was a living breathing example of the “I can do that” spirit that made you believe that you to could do whatever it takes to live for Jesus.

Those of you who know me know that I am a theologian, philosopher and critical thinker. Well, Vicky was none of those. Vicky was what we wished everyone would become . . . she loved Jesus for loving her and she possessed a grateful heart and it showed. Yet, over time we became friends. I enjoyed throwing something out at her that I knew she didn’t believe (most cases neither did I) and watch her struggle for a response . . . . she virtually always had one . . .  But ultimately would say something like, I just believe the Bible. I just enjoyed her refreshing approach to life and faith that God would take care of whatever came along.

So, it wasn’t her life story that impressed me it was her friendship that touched us. I still remember them coming to us in one of the darkest hours of our lives and Vicky saying, “What can we do to help?” It was with those six words they blessed us more than anyone else had. That was Vicky. It was never a matter of saying something (though she never had a lack of something to say) for her . . . it was always “What can I do?”

I am sad that Vicky has left us for a far better place but I confess that while I am happy for her I am not happy. As long as we walk in this world Susan and I will miss her physical presence. Truthfully, we have been unable to speak of her without shedding a tear. I just thank the Lord that He brought this little wisp of a woman but giant in the Lord into our lives. Vicky, Susan and I already miss you; our hearts ache when we think of you; know that we love and miss you and that our tears are a mixed bag of what we have lost and you have gained. But alas, we find comfort in the promise of Scripture that the Same Lord who began a good work in us will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus" and one day we shall join you in His presence.

But I also shed a tear for my dear brother in Christ, Bill Murphy. Over the years he and Vicky as with Susan and myself became a living unit . . . . one flesh. 

Now Bill must begin discovering who Bill Murphy is without Vicky.  To be sure he will not be entirely without her. He will carry her in his heart and memories and there will days when he will feel her presence. But she will be gone from those thousands of little moments in a day. This is the experience in life that I fear the most. Will he get over Vicky’s passing? . . . . I think not, but I know that by the grace of God and the love of Jesus he will get though it. Will it be easy? No! How can it be easy when half of what has defined you for 50 years is now in another place. We are here for you my brother but more important Jesus is with you right now.

I like something the late Evangelist, Vance Havner, once said to Warren Wiersbe about his own wife's passing. First he said, "I have not lost her because I know where she is." Then he added: "She is in Heaven walking hand-in-hand with Jesus and I remain here walking hand-in-hand with Jesus so I guess you might say because of Jesus we are still walking together hand-in-hand." 

When Susan and I started our journey with the Lord as one of His called preachers our circle was relatively small. Over the years our circle enlarged as did our influence but now as we reach the end of that journey the circle is contracting at an ever increasing rate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment