Tuesday, August 18, 2020

What Does Your Favorite Hymn Say About You

Someone once told me "Every one has a story and that story is worth telling."  I do believe that.  

I also believe that those stories not only need to be told it is important that they be heard. Each of us has a unique life experience the majority of which will go with us to the grave. Our stories are just too detailed and intricate to be told between the covers of a book. They literally take a lifetime.

I am now in my seventies and living the last chapters of my life story. Most will never make it into print . . . after all, I have to live them first and that will get in the way of recording them for posterity.

Often it is the things that we pass over quickly because they are so "ordinary." People my age and those who were of my father and mother's generation often spoke of our favorite Bible verse, or our favorite place to visit. But no one ever asked, "Why is that your favorite hymn.

For example, my favorite hymn is Blessed Assurance. I have never asked myself why nor has anyone who has ever sang or arranged it for me asked why. I am confident there is a reason that of the thousands of hymns I choose (or perhaps it chose me) Blessed Assurance as my personal favorite. Perhaps I will say more about this down the road.  My point is simply that the choice of that hymn says something about me as a person.

I often reflect back on my Mom and Dad and the journey that brought them together and resulted my being here. It is a wonderful story.  Today while doing a little of that I remembered that my mother's favorite hymn was Face to Face and my father's was Follow Me.  I am sure those were not simply chosen from a list but in some way spoke to their individual hearts and lives.

Today I have spent some time thinking about my father and that song Follow Me. I wonder what there was about the song that it became a special . You have to understand that the song is all about struggle and acceptance. Listen to the song (See link above).  Check out the lyrics:

I traveled on a lonely road and no one seemed to care.
The burden on my weary back had bowed me to despair;
I oft complained to Jesus how folks were treating me,
And then I heard Him say so tenderly,
"My feet were also weary, upon the Calvary road;
The cross became so heavy, I fell beneath the load,
Be faithful weary pilgrim the morning I can see,
Just lift your cross and follow close to me."

"I work so hard for Jesus" I often boast and say
"I've sacrificed a lot of things to walk the narrow way,
I gave up fame and fortune, I'm worth a lot to Thee"
And then I hear Him gently say to me,
"I left the throne of glory and counted it but loss,
My hands were nailed in anger upon a cruel cross,
But now we'll make the journey with your hand safe in mine,
So lift your cross and follow close to me.

Oh Jesus if I die upon a foreign field someday,
'Twould be no more than love demands, no less could I repay,
"No greater love hath mortal man than for a friend to die"
These are the words He gently spoke to me,
"If just a cup of water I place within your hand
Then just a cup of water is all that I demand.
But if by death to living they can Thy glory see,
I'll take my cross and follow close to Thee.

As I reflect on his life as I knew it to be it seems this song was a perfect fit. He was born on a farm in Central Texas on December 21, 1911.  He spent his childhood watching the Great War unfold and finally come to an end only to be thrown into the Great Depression as he entered adulthood. At a young age he was introduced to alcohol by his youngest uncle (They were about the same age) and that began a struggle that would consume much of his life. That was followed by his own War experience in Europe during WWII.  

As the oldest son he had to accept family responsibilities that were beyond his years. He became the "fix it" guy for the family and the community. He was the last of the children to leave the farm and carried the weight of responsibility to not only fix the wagon but also the broken life.

He was required to chaperon his sisters on dates and keep an eye on his brothers.  He was a man from  whose lips I never heard a hard ugly word. He didn't swear and he didn't argue or fight. He was good almost to a fault.

He repaired his brothers and sisters cars and rarely charged them even the price of the parts. He did this despite of the fact that he knew what they said about him behind his back.  He was always there when they needed him.

Maybe one day I will try to tell his story as I know it but for now suffice it to say his favorite hymn pretty well sums up how he felt about his life. If you didn't really know him, live with him watch him closely every day as did I then just read the words of his favorite him and you'll get a pretty good idea of how he felt about himself.

What is your favorite hymn and what does it say about you?

1 comment:

  1. Great..I now have a much more respectful portrait of your dad...No wonder you have so much you and Phyllis hold him in such high regard, which i will in the future as well..But, on the other hand, 'Boot' was always the soft spoken man who was always cordial the times we visited while he watched the ballgame while we talked. sometimes no talk was necessary, unless I got in the way of the TV , then he would simply gesture me to move so he could see the action.....Now when I think or hear 'Follow Me' I will remember your dad.....God Bless for sharing..

    ReplyDelete