Saturday, October 1, 2011

Iberostar Rose Hall Beach Dining


Again I want to thank Iberostar for a terrific week. I suppose I should also thank Jamaica for the great weather as well. Yesterday, I talked generally of the Iberostar properties at Montego Bay and you can read that blog entry for some general impressions. Today I want to speak specifically about the Iberostar Rose Hall Beach . . . my hotel.

As indicated yesterday I rate this particular property as a 4.5 star resort largely on the basis of limited amenities ($75 for Wifi in the lobby only and not in the rooms)and the limited nature of their customer service (I spoke of this yesterday).

Today I want to talk about the resort's restaurants. The hotel has three themed restaurants. There is a Japanese venue called The Samurai; there is a steakhouse called Uncle Tony's; and there is a Cajun restaurant called the Jambalaya; there is a daily breakfast, lunch and dinner buffet eatery and a snack venue on the beach. With the exception of the Buffet all eateries are by reservation only. During peak season all restraints are open nightly but during off-peak they rotate. Reservations are required because seating is limited. Unlike the cruise ships there is no added cost for choosing to dine in one of the three hotel restaurants.

We enjoyed our Saturday evening dinner at the Samurai Restaurant where we met a pretty much international crowd which included an English couple having their first Japanese food experience, a Scottish couple who were celebrating their 10th wedding anniversary by returning to the scene of the crime and a family from Houston, Texas doing a generational vacation. I was impressed with how fully they made an effort to accommodate the folks allergic to shell fish. The chef also put on a good show. After that we were done for the day. I would rate this venue the equivalent of a Benny Hana Restaurant.

On Sunday evening we had dinner at Uncle Tony's. The restaurant is presently being housed in the beach snack shack but the staff does a great job of giving it the feel of a Texas Barbecue House. I had a medium rib-eye steak that was disappointingly thin but was very favourable. Susan had a grilled Salmon which she said was as good as she has ever had. The staff was excellent and the service was top-shelf.

Monday night it was the Jambalaya restaurant. This is a Cajun/Creole style eatery and in my judgement the best of the three. The menu is wonderful, the food delicious and well presented. I had the Blackened Grouper and Susan had a pork chop. However, my favorite was the Coconut Shrimp. I really liked this venue.

As for the daily Buffets all I can say is that they were adequate not exceptional. Again, the Jamaican staff was superb but the food average. Actually the only thing that was exceptional was a Beef (ground meat) Strudel. The beach snack shack was handy and loaded with finger foods.


While the food does not compare with that on a cruise ship is is generally adequate and occasionally exceptional. Food service is good and the staff friendly and helpful. There is no reason why anyone should be unhappy with the food at the resort. It is good, plentiful, and available almost 24/7. I give the food a two thumbs up.


No comments:

Post a Comment