Friday, December 31, 2010

What's Your Plan For 2011 . . . I Have A Suggestion


It's New Years Day. Well, it is almost almost New Year's Day. It is also almost my birthday. You see New Year's Day and my birthday are one and the same. Both are great occasions to reflect a little on what has transpired since the last New Year's Day and in my case my last birthday.

I really can't say that anything unusual or particularly exciting occurred. Well, that's not entirely true. After all my youngest daughter presented me with a grandson and that is exciting. In fact he has been pretty much the center of attention these past several months. That by itself makes 2010 a successful year.

Personally I am not to big on reflecting on the past except for nostalgic reasons. The past is just that, the past.
New Year's Day and for me, my birthday, should be spent looking forward. I think it was Beecher who said that "every man should be born again on the first day of January . . . let every man gird himself once more, with his face to the front . . ." Or as the great Apostle said, "forgetting those things that are past I press on . . ."

That is what I suggest we all do today. Face the future with a determination to make the year that lies before us as happy and prosperous as possible. To that end I have a suggestion.

Recently I was in conversation with a friend and told him that my father had taught me how to die and that another friend who is now gone taught me the real meaning of giving. His response was, "Isn't that what life really is about . . . giving?"

You know, he is right. The only way to make 2011 really happy and successful is to give of yourself. Scripture is not in error when it says, "It is more blessed to give than to receive." Let me suggest that you determine that in 2011 you find some way to give of yourself. That may involve making some financial gifts. These will no doubt be needed and are important to meeting some of the human needs around you. More importantly it should involve giving of yourself and that means taking time for others.

Don't waste your time looking for someone worthy of your help. No one is worthy and the truth is neither are you and I. It is not a question of worthiness but of need. God Himself modeled this truth for us when he loved us while we were still sinners and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sin. He did not give us what our worthiness had earned but rather He gave us what we needed. We are to do likewise. I still hear Jesus' words to the woman caught in adultery, "neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more." Ours is not to pass judgement . . . ours is to offer redemption (the help needed).

Call me deluded call me an idealist I really don't mind because I really do believe that if we would all light one little candle in the darkness that fills so many of our friends and neighbor's lives what a wonderful world this could be.

2 comments:

  1. When you were talking about lighting one little candle,it remined me of the song "Light your world." It doesn't matter if it's one person in your world or many,we should be a reflection of the light of God in the world He gives us.A new year is a time to start anew.It is so good that God gives us a fresh start and I hope I will know where and what He would have for me to do this year.
    I really do enjoy reading your blog and I hope you and Susan have a blessed 2011 and that you have a great birthday!
    Nelda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again,a very timely message, although it seems I am forever learning the same lessons. You have reminded me once again that much of my time could spent in much more productive ways. To that end, I will make it a priority to listen more and talk less. It seems my 'hoof in mouth disease' has given others and myself much more grief than good. Thanks David for again reminding me to spend more time looking for needs rather than faults in others as I start anew this year. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete