Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Why I Choose To Cruise

"I need a vacation!" Ever said that? I have. In my more than 35 years as a Baptist pastor I have said it often. Usually it is nothing but a safe way of saying the pressures of day-to-date life at work or home is getting too intense. Often we say it in jest but I believe there is more than a grain of truth in it because, "I do need a vacation!" I mean a "real" vacation . . . not some weekend getaway but a real vacation.

I am convinced that there is a direct correlation between taking vacations and our physical and mental well-being. There has been a myriad of studies going back to the 1940's that indicate this is the case. However, I don't need a study to tell me that I need a vacation because my gut will do that.

I have discovered that my mind and body react to lifestyle stresses and that a vacation is good for both. That's why I need a vacation. However, I have also learned over that taking a vacation can create it's own set of stresses . . . especially if it is a "family" vacation. But I'll save that discussion for another day because right now I really do need a vacation and for me that means a cruise.

I choose cruise vacations because while most are not truly "all-inclusive" they are "just about everything is included" and there is something about the sea that beckons and calms. Coffee just taste better no matter what the brand from your balcony overlooking the vastness of the ocean.

I'm not talking about one of those amusement park cruises. Now don't miss understand, I am not denigrating those cruises. I still take those kinds of cruises but what I want is a real "golden age of sailing" cruise where I can enjoy good food and conversation; quiet walks and private moments with the love of my life; explore exotic ports of call with both new and old friends.

The more I think about not only do I need a vacation . . . I want a vacation! I think I'll give my travel consultant a call. Oh yea, that's me.

No comments:

Post a Comment